Note: The Sign-up tool has beta status in version 2.8 of the rSmart Sakai CLE. Institutions are free to try this tool in CLE 2.8, but it is not supported. With CLE 2.9, the Sign-up tool is fully supported. If your institution has made the Sign-up tool available in CLE 2.8, see the following guide, which provides basic instructions for getting started with the tool. Please note that functionality and workflow are slightly different for the 2.9 version of the tool. For more information, see the Sakai community Sign-Up contrib page.
The Sign-Up tool lets site owners schedule, and other site participants sign up for, a variety of events, such as office hour visits, review sessions, and study groups. This tool is typically added to course and project sites. Key features and functions of the tool include:
- Meeting types--site owners may select from three meeting types: single slot, which is one time period; multiple slots, in which the instructor may divide a meeting into multiple time slots of equal duration (or optionally create customized time slots of any duration); and open meeting, which is one time period with no sign-up required.
- Assigning options--site owners may opt to let students sign up for meetings or assign students to meetings.
- Availability--site owners may make a meeting available to all participants or to selected groups, as well as to participants in other sites. Site owners may determine how often a meeting occurs, and they may also set a meeting’s sign-up time period.
- Rich text editor--both the site owner and site participants (if allowed by the site owner) have access to a rich text editor. A site owner may include a description when adding a meeting, while site participants (if allowed) may include a message when signing up for a meeting. With the rich text editor, users may format text and include images, links, and video. Users may also attach files.
- Meeting management--site owners may edit, copy, remove, and print meetings, as well as export meetings as spreadsheet files. Site owners may also re-assign users to different time slots, as well as lock specific time slots so no users may sign up for them.
- Notifications--site owners may opt to notify site participants when a meeting has been published or changed, and may also opt to have a reminder email sent a day in advance of a meeting. In addition, site owners may opt to receive email notification when a participant signs up for, or cancels, a meeting.
- Calendar tool integration--site owners may opt to have meetings automatically published in the Calendar tool.
- Additional management options--site owners may opt to let site participants see the names of other participants in a meeting; provide participants with the option to join a wait list for a time slot that is already full; allow or deny site participants the ability to add a comment when signing up; and require site participants to enter a user ID when signing up for a meeting.
ACCESSING THE SIGN-UP TOOL
When you first select Sign-Up, the CLE displays the home page for the tool. If you’re a site owner, the home page may look similar to this:
On the home page, the CLE displays your scheduled meetings. On this page, you may:
- View the title, organizer, location, date and time, and status of each meeting.
- Click on a meeting title to modify, copy, export, or print that meeting.
- Filter the list of meetings by using the View dropdown menu. You may select all meetings, all future meetings, meetings scheduled in the next 30 or 60 days, meetings available for sign up, or meetings for which you have signed up.
- Remove a meeting, by clicking on the appropriate checkbox and clicking the Remove Meetings button.
- View each occurrence of all recurring meetings, by clicking the checkbox for Expand all recurring meetings, or view each occurrence of a specific recurring meeting, by clicking the “+” icon next to its title.
ADDING A MEETING
To add a new meeting in the Sign-Up tool, go to the tool home page. In the menu bar, click Add. The CLE displays the Create New Meeting: Basic Information page.
Information and Time Period
- Provide a title and location. If you have already added meetings, you may use the dropdown menu to select from previously entered locations. Or, you may enter a new location. Optionally, you may also provide a description and/or attach files.
- Select a start/end time and date. (Note: even if your meeting will be recurring, the start/end dates should be identical. You should only set a different end date if the meeting will span multiple days).
Frequency and Availability
- Select how many times the meeting will occur from the Meeting Frequency dropdown menu. For every selection except “Once Only,” the CLE displays additional settings:
You can set frequency in one of two ways:
- Click the occurrences radio button and enter the appropriate number in the field.
- Click the End After radio button and provide a date.
- Determine the sign-up period for the meeting by making entries in the Sign-up begins and Sign-up ends fields.
- In the Available To section, set availability for the meeting. By default, the current site is selected, so all participants in the site have access. But you may also set availability for specific groups or sections, as well as click Other Sites to make the meeting available to participants in other sites you own.
- In the "Meeting Type" section, select the meeting type. If you select Open meeting, proceed to step 7. For the other two meeting types, the CLE displays additional settings.
Single slot meeting type:
Enter the maximum number of participants who may attend, or click on the Unlimited number of participants radio button. Then proceed to step 7.
Multiple slots meeting type:
Enter the number of available slots, as well as the number of participants per slot. The CLE calculates the estimated duration of each slot, in minutes, according to these two settings. Once you have entered the number of slots/participants, proceed to step 7.
Customizing multiple time slots
If you are adding a meeting with multiple time slots, you may optionally customize any or all of the slots. To do so:
- Select Advanced user-defined timeslots.
- Click on the Create Timeslot(s) link that is displayed. The CLE displays the Define Custom Timeslots page.
On this page, you’ll see the number of time slots and participants per slot you have already set for the meeting, as well as the time period for each slot based on those settings. You may customize each individual slot, and you may also create additional slots by clicking Add a new timeslot.
(Note: You may overlap time slots, but keep in mind that a slot’s start and end times must be within the time period you original set for the meeting. By default, any time slots that are more than two hours apart will be published as separate events in the Calendar tool, but you may de-select this setting.)
- After customizing the time slots, click the Continue button. You will be returned to the Create New Meeting: Basic Information page. Proceed to step 7.
Final Settings and Publish
- Click the Next button. The CLE displays the Meeting Summary page. Confirm that all information for the meeting is correct. If you have created custom time slots, click on Show custom-defined timeslots for a display of the slots.
Select display and notification options as desired. To access additional settings, click Show the other default settings. You may change any of these settings.
- If you have created an open or single-slot meeting--or if you have created a multiple-slot meeting and you want participants to sign up for it--click Publish. You will be returned to the tool home page, and the new meeting will be displayed in the list of meetings.
If you have created a multiple-slot meeting and you want to assign participants to it, click Assign Participants & Publish. The CLE displays the Assign Participants page:
For each time slot, click Add Participant. Select a site participant from the displayed dropdown menu and then click OK. (You may add more participants than the maximum you selected). Once you have added all participants, click Publish.
(Note: When you assign a time slot to a participant, keep in mind that the participant may still cancel the slot, and may then join any other available slot.)
CHANGING A MEETING
To change a meeting, first locate it in the list on the home page, and click on its title. The CLE displays the Meeting Details page for that meeting:
On this page, you may:
- Change the meeting’s information and settings.
- Collapse or expand the display of information.
- Lock or cancel a time slot.
- Add participants to, or remove them from, time slots.
- Send emails to participants.
- View comments added by participants upon sign-up.
- Add participants to, or remove them from, wait lists.
Modifying a Meeting
To change the information or settings for a meeting, click on Modify in the menu bar at the top of the page. The CLE displays the Modify Meeting page. Make all necessary changes and click Publish Modification.
When modifying a meeting, keep in mind the following:
- You may not modify meeting type.
- If the meeting is recurring, you have the option to change all future recurring meetings (the default setting) or only the current meeting.
- If you have customized time slots for a meeting, you may not change its start or end time.
Locking and Cancelling Time Slots
To lock or cancel a time slot, click on the link for the appropriate slot in the “Time Slot” column. The CLE displays two additional links:
- To lock a time slot so that users may not sign up for it, click Lock - prevent participant sign-up. The CLE displays the “lock” icon () next to the slot. To unlock the slot, click on its link again and then click Unlock.
- To delete a time slot, click on Cancel - delete the timeslot. In the confirmation window that is displayed, click OK.
Working with Participants in a Time Slot
To work with participants in a particular time slot, locate the slot in the “Participants” column. You may add more participants to the slot by clicking the Add Participant link. For each existing participant, you may also do the following:
- To move, replace, or swap a participant, click the “edit” icon (). The CLE displays additional buttons and a dropdown menu.
To move the participant to another time slot, click the Move radio button and select a slot from the dropdown menu. To replace the participant, click the Replace radio button and select a participant from the dropdown menu. To swap the participant with a participant in another time slot, click the Swap radio button and select a participant from the dropdown menu (participants will be listed by time slot).
- To delete a participant from the slot, click the “delete” icon () . In the confirmation window that is displayed, click OK.
- To send an email to a participant, click the “email” icon ().
FOR SITE PARTICIPANTS: USING THE SIGN-UP TOOL
If you’re a participant in a site, the home page of the Sign-Up tool might look similar to this:
From the home page, you may:
- View meetings. By default, you’ll see a list of all future available meetings. This list includes the organizer, location, date/time and status for each meeting. You can see which meetings are currently available for sign-up (or require no sign-up) and when sign-up begins for future meetings. In addition, you can see the meetings for which you have signed up, or to which you have been assigned.
- Access meetings. Click on a meeting title to sign up for or cancel the meeting, as well as to get more information about the meeting.
- Display recurring meetings. Some meetings may occur more than once. To display each occurrence of all recurring meetings, click the checkbox for Expand all recurring meetings. To display each occurrence of a particular meeting, click the “+” icon next to its title.
- Filter meetings list. Use the View dropdown menu to filter the list of meetings. You may display only meetings available in the next 30 or 60 days, only meetings available for sign-up, or only meetings for which you have already signed up.
Accessing a Meeting
When you click on a meeting title, the CLE displays a Meetings page. For a meeting with multiple time slots, the page may look similar to this:
On this page, you’ll see:
- General information about the meeting, which you may hide by clicking Hide meeting info above.
- All time slots for the meeting and, in the “Available Places” column, the number of participants who may sign up for each slot. If the slot is full, “None” will be displayed. If participants are allowed to join a wait list for a slot, the number of participants on the wait list will be displayed. A “locked” slot is not available for sign-up and its sign-up button will be grayed out.
- Other participants who have signed up for the meeting, in the “Participants” column. Keep in mind that the site owner may decide to hide the identities of participants, in which you will see “Private” in this column.
- Your sign-up status, in the “Your Status” column. If you have not yet signed up for a slot, you’ll see nothing in this column. If you have signed up, you’ll see “Signed up.” If you have joined a wait list, you’ll see “On Wait List.” Put your cursor over this label to see your ranking in the wait list. (Note: once you join the wait list for a slot, you will be automatically signed up when a place opens. Availability depends on your rank in the list and the number of available spaces.)
- Buttons for taking a particular action, in the “Action” column. If you have not yet signed up, you’ll see the Sign Up button for each available slot and a Join Wait List button for each slot that is full. If you have signed up for a slot, or if you have been assigned to a slot, you’ll see a Cancel Sign-up button for the slot. If you have joined or been added to a wait list for a slot, you’ll see a Remove from Wait List button for the slot.
For a meeting that does not have multiple time slots, you’ll see all of the above displayed in a single row.
Signing up for a meeting
To sign up for a meeting, select the Sign-Up tool and follow these steps:
- On the home page, find the appropriate meeting and click on its title. The CLE displays the Meetings page for that meeting.
- For a meeting with multiple time slots, click the Sign Up button for an available slot. (For a meeting with only one slot, you will see only one button) displayed.) The CLE displays the Complete Sign-Up page:
- Review the information. If the meeting includes an option for adding a comment and you want to do so, click the Add a comment link, and enter your comment in the displayed rich text editor.
- Click Finish.
The CLE displays the Meetings page again, and you’ll see “Signed up” in the “Your Status” column. To cancel the sign-up, click the Cancel Sign-up button.
Warning: If you are signed up for a time slot that has been locked, you will not be able to sign up again for that slot if you cancel the sign-up.